Global Water Intelligence (GWI) announced the winners of the 2015 Global Water Awards, which were presented on 27th of April during the Global Water Summit at the Nasioutzik Museum in Greece. The winners were announced in a ceremony presented by José Manuel Barroso. Barraso, former president of the European Commission and prime minister of Portugal from 2002 to 2004, delivered a speech on the global importance of water to our world and commented on how “we need leadership in the private and public sector to make water sustainable.”
WssTP member, Abengoa was recognised as Water Company of the Year, due to its contribution to the water sector in 2014 through its projects, research, etc. The awards committee took into account Abengoa’s ability to offer customized solutions for each client, as well as the diversification of its non-desalination assets. The unique and innovative characteristics of the Vista Ridge water transmission project also caught the attention of the committee.
The Global Water Awards established in 2005 by Global Water Intelligence bring together the best companies and individuals in the sector every year.
The winners of the 2015 Global Water Awards are:
Water Company of the Year
- Winner: Abengoa
- Distinction: Aqualogy- Suez environment
Desalination Company of the Year
- Winner: Saline Water Conversion Corp.
- Distinction: Suez Environment
Water Project of the Year
- Winner: Lakeview Water Treatment Plant (WTP) phase 2 expansion, Canada
- Distinction: Andijk III pretreatment plant, Netherlands
Wastewater Project of the Year
- Winner: Agua Prieta Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP), Mexico
- Distinction: Fes WWTP, Morocco
Desalination Plant of the Year
- Winner: Ras Al- Khair SWRO, Saudi Arabia
- Distinction: Cambria BWRO, California
Water Reuse Project of the Year
- Winner: Silicon Valley Advanced WTP, USA
- Distinction: Kooragang Industrial Water Scheme, Australia
Industrial Water Project of the Year
- Winner: Jurong Industrial Water Reuse Pilot, Singapore
- Distinction: Ujams Industrial Water Reclamation Plant, Namibia
Water Deal of the Year
- Winner: Mirfa IWPP financing
- Distinction: DC Water green bond
Water Technology Company of the Year
- Winner: MetaWater
- Distinction: SKion GmbH
Water Performance Initiative of the Year
- Winner: Adelaide Metropolitan Water Distribution Network, Australia
- Distinction: Denver Water Sustainability, USA
Water Leaders Award
- Winner: Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board
- Distinction: Azersu
To learn more about the Awards, please visit the Global Water Awards website.
For more information about Abengoa’s nomination, please read its press release.